Saturday 4 February 2012

My Pet Peeve for Some


LinkedIn is a great social networking site for professionals to network with others for the job, job hunting, or simply exchange of information. When I arrived at my current location, it was clear that it is folly to your network is not fully hit the region.

But as time passed, it became clear that it is beginning to catch on. In my village, word of mouth marketing, referrals and networking are key drivers of business. There are several groups such as chambers of commerce, networking groups and business organizations for business people to network with others. Now, some people have started using LinkedIn as part of their networking and forgot one major equity for successful networking.

Networking gurus always use the words as you know, like and trust as reasons why people do business with others. However, I have witnessed that some people are trying to connect to your network, use the standard "I'd like to add you to my professional network" and that's it. What I know of, like or are exuding confidence with a standard call on your network?

Then they take it one step further. I accepted the invitation of local business people who do not necessarily know, but I know, they can be members of the chamber, my fellow local business owners, etc. These people have invited me to join. The key word here is the link. Dictionary says that linking, in this sense, means to develop a good relationship with someone. So I accepted an invitation from a local business person and I would like to respond to talk to learn more about their business to determine how are May be able to help each other. In some cases it has met with no response at all. My question is: "Well, why do they want to link up with me then?"

Networking through social media sites like LinkedIn is still networking and some of the same rules. If I met these people from in-person networking events, their actions on your network will go something like this in person. "Hi, my name is so and so, here's my card." I would respond by saying something like, "Good to meet you! Tell me more about yourself and your business." And their response would be to walk!

Networking is about building relationships and taking time to get real, build confidence and meet people and have them meet you. Remember that LinkedIn is a form of connectivity and the same rules still apply.

Ms. Roberts is the owner of the business RX, LLC. It wo

No comments:

Post a Comment